Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Open by Andre Agassi

Just finished reading Open, Andre Agassi's autobiography, and I was very impressed. His writing style made me feel like I was right next to him, whether he was hitting balls on the court, or dealing with his perfectionist father. I was surprised to learn that he really did hate tennis for quite a while, and that his trademark big hair was actually a wig. Before I read his book, I didn't know too much about him---I had watched him when he played in the late 90s through his retirement, and knew that he built a charter school, but didn't really know much about his early life and early career.

I think that the title itself speaks volumes about the book. His life is about playing tennis in the Open era, in the 4 major tournaments (Aus. Open, Wimbledon, French Open, US Open). You get a very good view of everything in his life, he shows everything---his failed early loves, his dark years of tennis, his drug use---he's putting everything out in the open for his fans to read. I'd really recommend this to anyone who is a tennis fan.

Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment