Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Saurbraten

Tried making saurbraten this week, as my husband loves German food. We found the recipe in an Amish cookbook at a museum.

Ingredients:
2 1/2 lb pot roast
2 cups water
2 cups vinegar
1 cup sliced onion
1 bay leaf
6 peppercorns
1 Tbs. ground cloves
1 tsp. allspice
1/4 cup brown sugar
salt
1 1/2 Tbs. flour
1 cup sour cream
2 Tbs. ketchup


Put meat in a crock. Heat (do not boil) the water, vinegar, onions, bay leaf, peppercorns and salt. Pour over meat in crock. Cover and refrigerate 2-3 days. Drain meat and reserve liquid. Brown meat, then bake as a pot roast in the liquid, adding cloves, allspice, and brown sugar. Bake for 3-4 hours at 325*F oven. Remove meat from pan, stir in flour, sour cream, and ketchup.

Everything went well until we went to pull it out of the oven. This is what we saw:


It was a little burnt. DH was in charge of baking it (because I was at work), and decided to put it in for the 4 full hours because our oven tends to take longer to cook things. I pulled it out when I got home and saw what had happened. We were unable to mix in the flour, ketchup, and sour cream as there was no liquid left in the bottom of the pan, it had burnt to the sides.

However, all was not lost. The meat still tasted really good, the spices added a lot to it. I served it with some rolls, some carrots, and some mashed sweet potatoes.

Rating: 4/5
Would I make this again? Most likely I would, but I'd make sure to take it out of the oven earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment